Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Life Changes


It's amazing to me how your life can be altered to the core, in the blink of an Eye. In November of this last year, my Father became ill. A little over a month later, I lost my father to Cancer. This was not his first brush with this particular beast. Almost 20 years ago, he beat Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. He was an amazing man. A quiet man, I don't remember ever hearing him raise his voice. He was the kind of man that went through life quietly, and was very happy to remain unnoticed. I never knew how much I depended on his quiet strength. My minister told me shortly after it happened, that I would find that the thing I missed the most would be the answers. You see, my Dad was the person I turned to for the answers to all my questions. Over the last few years, the relationship between us had changed. I could see the respect growing in his eyes for the kind of parent I was becoming. I always told myself that I wanted to be the kind of parent that he was. Firm, yet understanding. I could always count on him to listen to whatever question I had, or whatever trouble I had gotten into, then be able to help me to find the right answer. He always supported whatever crazy idea I was into, and always made me feel proud of the work that I did. He showed me, through his example, what a work ethic was.


As my son continues to grow, I hope that I can be half the father my Dad was.

Thanks Dad. Thanks for everything you did for me. I miss you every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment